I guess you could say I was confused
when you said you didn’t love me
Because you always told me that when you kissed my lips
you could taste the next 70 years of your life.
Because when we made love we did it with smiles on our faces
and love in our hearts;
and when you scratched my back
you etched your future into every muscle and every tendon
making me feel as if I was some sort
of a permanent calendar
(But calendars can only last a year).
Because you said eternity had never tasted so sweet
as you drew it from my breath
and kissed the sunshine that leaked from my skin.
Because I promised you that I would never need
rain-soaked nights in Paris,
or money or a house on some far away island
because your heart was the only home
I could ever need.
And because you always said you would treat me like
one of your tragic stars
with their pagan hearts full of morning
and how you would always look up at me in wonder
“What a fall, but what a light.
What impossible light.”
- Always take pictures of the sky when it’s pretty, it probably won’t ever look like that again.
- Wear that skirt you like, even if you’re mom says it’s too short.
- Take off the dark eyeliner and nail polish once in a while, you’ll feel lighter.
- Chop off your hair if you want, it will grow back eventually.
- Count the freckles on your arms and draw lines between them, your skin is like the night shy.
- Sleep under six blankets with the fan on high in the middle of the winter, the sound is soothing.
- Tell that boy to stop touching your thigh, even if it is flattering.
- Say thank you and flash a smile when you’re sister says that you’re outfit is ugly.
- Raise your hand when you know the answer, even if the class is all upperclassmen.
- Read that book again, you’ll notice something you didn’t the first time.
- Don’t drink too much caffeine, you’ll get the jitters and bomb your math test.
- Wear pencils behind your ears, it’s convenient.
- Try to talk to people, it won’t kill you.
- When a cute boy tries to cheat off your test, write the wrong answers and change them later.
- It’s ok to feel happy, don’t let other peoples sadness make you feel bad.